Living in Frames, by meshing the lyrical moments of life with the captured images of experience. This is a reverie, a journey, the fork in the road, and the never-ending story....

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Recap from MFA Summer Residency '09

Before I get started, I want to thank everyone who has supported me and stood by me, both family and friends. This year has really been a time of growth for me. Learning new things, challenging myself, finding inspiration and motivation, and really pushing myself beyond the imaginable.

Growing pains are never easy and I seem to be always walking that line between the conventional and unconventional. What I should be doing at 26 and what I want to be doing at 26. But it's all part of the journey, and without all the love and understanding I've been blessed with along the way, I probably would've wound up lost, a long time ago.

I can't wait to celebrate with all of you, when I wind up on the other side!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning home from my 10-day residency, I expected to be met with change, something out of order, or at least a period of adjustment. But to my surprise, everything was as I left it, a little over a week ago.

When I returned home, my belongings hadn't been touched, my work schedule was still in place, my family and friends still moved about in their regular patterns. It was as though time stood still and I was re-approaching "my life" from a new perspective, a fresher outlook, or different angle.

No, things hadn't changed, but I had.

My experiences were eye-opening and genuine. I was welcomed into an eclectic and colorful community of artists. Inducted as a person of passion, lyricism, intelligence, and life.

It had been a long time since I'd felt connected, on a level deeper than first impressions. Late nights were filled with comfortable conversation, laughter, and confessions. I didn't realize how thirsty I was, until I lapped up every word, off of every tongue, with quenching appreciation.

No, things hadn't changed, but I had.

I learned a lot over those intense, 10 days. About the craft of writing, about the industry I was entering, and about myself as a writer and human being. I can only imagine what the next two years will bring. Hopefully a book, life-long relationships, but most importantly, a stronger sense of myself. I am really looking forward to the horizon beyond.

Thanks again!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment