Living in Frames, by meshing the lyrical moments of life with the captured images of experience. This is a reverie, a journey, the fork in the road, and the never-ending story....

Monday, September 28, 2009

Breaking Up is Not Easy to Do

So, I have been a bit of a basket case the last couple days. I received feedback from my mentor on Thursday, regarding my first submission. Though overall her comments were positive and she was very excited to see what was to come in the future, the most constructive critique she gave me, was that my first seven or so pages needed to be reworked and my opening completely scraped.

At first I thought, "Hey, this won't be too bad", but then I realized, "Oh shit! The anecdotal opening, is a metaphor for the novel's entire theme!" She wasn't convinced it was the best way to introduce the main character and in a sense she thought it was too superficial for the depth of the protagonist.
"Sarah, you just got to learn when to kill your babies," she said.

As amusing as that was, I knew I had alot of work before me, whether I was ahead of the game or not.

Unfortunately, I can't just discard the first page and start from there, because it would leave the beginning too vague, with multiple unanswered questions. The main theme of the novel is: how relationships shape us as individuals, and how we can learn from them and grow. It's not so much that I am attached to my opening, it's that I don't know what to replace it with, while still being able to get the theme across right away and present the female lead.

My manuscript, at least the first seven pages, is looking a little like confetti right now. I've kept the most important paragraphs and have tried to organize them in a logical way. But there are still holes that need to be filled in and I absolutely hate the idea of using "filler" to patchwork my story together. Maybe I just need to scrap the whole first chapter and start over that way?

I know there is no one else who can really solve this problem for me and the answer will probably come to me when I least expect it, but I only have 15 days left until my next deadline and it already feels like not enough time. You just can't rush the creative process and be satisfied with what you've done. I may have to use a temporary band-aid, so I can continue forging forward...

RECOMMENDATION: Here's a man who doesn't get seperation anxiety with his art, UK chalk-artist, Julian Beever http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/





No comments:

Post a Comment